Monday, August 26, 2002

Harry Potter Redux
No, I'm not writing a book review on the Harry Potter quadrilogy. It's been done - here, here, and probably even in here, somewhere.

My purpose today is to remind everyone that the first Harry Potter novel was a great read. Like most people, I read the first book years ago, then the books that followed, and saw the movie. I have been eagerly awaiting the fifth book, but it appears author J.K. Rowling might have a touch of writer's block.

On Sunday night I started reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
to my seven year old daughter. We read the first 3 chapters and then a couple more chapters tonight. I had forgotten the events unfolded with so much humor and mystery. Reading out loud has introduced new dimensions to the book, as I watch my daughter's reactions and feel the words in my mouth.

Knowing what comes next is not a problem, since I keep finding new things I missed, and now enjoy and understand the foreshadowing of things to come. I recommend grabbing the book off your shelf. Find someone to share it with, and enjoy Harry Potter from the beginning, once again.

No comments: