Wednesday, September 04, 2002

I know. I really do know.

I know the difference between i.e. and e.g. I am not a latin expert, but I am aware of the proper usage of those two latin abbreviations. I.e. means id est, "that is". E.g. is the abbreviation for exempli gratia, "for the sake of an example" or more simply "for example".

Yesterday I was browsing through Blogcritics, and I left a comment about a book review. I pointed out that many of the concepts in the book were familiar and used the example of Geoffrey Moore's Crossing the Chasm. I said "(i.e. Crossing the Chasm)". Of course the proper usage would be "(e.g. Crossing the Chasm)".

There are no means of editing a comment on the Blogcritics site, so my illiteracy will be on display for eternity. I just wanted to set the record straight here.

No comments: