Tuesday, October 29, 2002

I hardly ever watch television. The kids watch Nick or Animal Planet, and I sometimes sit with them and gaze a bit at whatever they are watching. Usually it's Sponge Bob, or Rugrats, or my favorite, the Crocodile Hunter. But it has been awhile since I sat down and watched an hour of television.

Several times today I heard radio commercials for the season premier of 24 so I decided to give it a try. I liked the no commercial interruptions, and even thought the Ford super long commercials at the beginning and end were well done.

24 is gripping. It uses many techniques to keep you focused on the television screen (real time clocks, split screens, rapid edits between scenes). The acting ranged from excellent (main characters) to mediocre (the daughter, the computer programmer). The plot, of course, is timely - terrorism, middle eastern countries harboring terrorists, threats to the US. As Caryn James says in the NY, "24 reflects a new wartime mentality, one that suits a war lurking in the shadows."

I'm eagerly awaiting next week's episode. I also think I will pick up 24: Season 1 on DVD.

Update: Dawn posted an enthusiastic review of tonight's episode.

No comments: