Wednesday, July 10, 2002

I listened to most of Talk of the Nation on NPR today as I was driving to an appointment. The topic was road trips and the show brought back great memories of trips with my buddies in college or different lady friends, and the family vacations of my youth. My dad always drove a big GM sedan and my brother, sister and I would be fighting over space in the back seat, while my spoilt youngest sister got to ride up front with my folks. I know we were typical kids who complained all the way, driving my dad crazy, but the lasting memories must mean the trips made an impression on me. Our summer vacation plans this year are not yet solidified, so maybe a road trip might be a fun (and less expensive) way to hang out together for a week.

Two of the books featured on the show sounded worth reading:


American Road: The Story of an Epic Transcontinental Journey at the Dawn of the Motor Age
American Road: The Story of an Epic Transcontinental Journey at the Dawn of the Motor Age
, by Peter Davies, is a historical book about a roadtrip across country in 1919.


Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways
Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways
, by Jamie Jensen, is more of a guide book to the roads off the major interstate system. I'll probably be picking this one up soon, and using it to get some roadtrip ideas.

No comments: