Friday, September 06, 2002

I have to admit, I have been dreading the anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks. I can only image the tasteless, inappropriate, and vulgar displays we will witness next week as the media try to outdo each other in their eternal quest for viewers, revenues and relevance. The memorials that are not outright created by the media, will be dissected and cricized by the media, politicians and other gadflies. Stupid discussions about who is or is not patriotic have already begun. "Made in China" American flags are flying off the shelves in Wal-Mart, in preparation for more mindless flag waving by a still intolerant crowd. Instead of reflection and remembrance, the SF Chronicle's Robert Morse foresees "Great globs of artificial, exploitative grief. For a week there will be no closure to the mawkish mouths of news anchors and politicians." Pres. Bush and his cronies seem hellbent on commemorating the attack by attacking Iraq, forgetting that the mission started a year ago has not been completed.

My plans for September 11, 2002 are simple. I will not watch the televised memorials. I will not participate in any public events. I will try not to be bothered by the ignorance or boorish behavior of others. I will reflect on the good in my life - my family, my wife and children, our health and happiness, the natural beauty that surrounds us. I will remember my father, a strong military man, who taught me respect for my country, the difference between right and wrong, and the importance of knowledge. I will remember the events of 9-11, and say a prayer for the families who lost a loved one. I will be proud of the heroic actions by Americans that day - whether it was saving someone from the towers, or consoling someone who was scared. I will reaffirm my allegiance to this country. but remember than democracy means we all have a voice. I will do all of these things quietly, by myself, a personal memorial.

No comments: